Head of Academic Music at Qatar Music Academy
(Commencing August 2024)
Qatar Foundation Schools - Leading learning
Since its inception, Qatar Foundation has been committed to providing world-class school curricula to realize the vision of His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Father Amir, and Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Qatar Foundation, stipulating that the future of the State of Qatar is based on the development of its most important resource, Qatari minds. Qatar Foundation started its journey in 1995 with the opening of Qatar Academy - Doha. The Division of Pre-University Education (PUE) later expanded to include seventeen academies and other educational programs, namely: Qatar Academy - Al Wakra; Qatar Academy - Msheireb; Qatar Academy - Al Khor; Qatar Academy - Sidra; Qatar Academy for Science and Technology; Qatar Leadership Academy; Awsaj Academy; Renad Academy; Academyati; Tariq Bin Ziad School; the Academic Bridge Program and the Qatar Armed Services Academic Officer Program; Motivation, Accreditation and Review Qatar; The Learning Center; and the Education Development Institute.
Qatar Music Academy joined the PUE family in 2020, having previously been part of the QF Division of Community Development. These leading educational centers, operating under the umbrella of the Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-university Education, aspire to fulfil Qatar Foundation’s vision of unlocking human potential by offering the best academic curricula, and so contributing to the development and dissemination of a culture of excellence and innovation.
Qatar Music Academy (QMA), the first specialist music school in the country, was established in 2011. QMA provides a comprehensive music education program based on practice and musicianship through its Arab and Western Music departments. Each department offers two programs: Academic Music and Music for All. QMA also provides a special Music Appreciation program developed for 4 to 5 year olds. The school’s environment encourages all students to achieve their full musical potential and pursue a diverse range of career options related to the music industry. It also provides music education for external certification through the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM).
There are 39 professional teachers/musicians from all around world who provide all individual and ensemble music coaching for 560 students.
QMA will be internationally renowned for excellent music education incorporating both Arab and Western music, thereby helping to foster a thriving music culture in Qatar and the region.
QMA will provide an environment that encourages all students to achieve their full potential.
The post - Head of Academic Music
We are looking to appoint an experienced, enthusiastic, inspirational and well-qualified music teacher/musician to join our highly acclaimed specialist music school. QMA is very well-resourced (accredited Steinway piano school) including a state-of-the-art iMac suite. The successful candidate will teach throughout the newly developed Academic Musicianship curriculum (History of Music, Analytical Listening Skills, Composition, Music Theory, and Music Technology).
The successful candidate will demonstrate flair in the classroom and have an ability to inspire students of all ages. The person appointed will be expected to play a leading role in the running of this faculty.
The Head of Academic Music is responsible, through the Head of Western Music Department to the Director (Headmaster) for the leadership, academic performance, organization and administration of the Academic Musicianship curriculum in line with the latest school and departmental policies.
They will identify departmental targets to develop and facilitate innovative and inspirational teaching and learning and will contribute to the achievement of whole-school objectives. The post-holder will work directly with all teachers involved in the provision of the Musicianship curriculum material.
The Head of Academic Music will be expected to lead by example and having the skills to maintain and update innovative, inspirational and challenging schemes of work will be essential. They will have a passion for the subject and a commitment to promoting the highest standards of teaching and learning, including the use of the latest teaching techniques and ideas in the subject. As such, the post holder will oversee the sharing of resources and ideas and promote best practice in conjunction with other departments.
- To be responsible for the teaching, and subsequent progress, of all students studying Academic Music from KS2 to A level ( or equivalent)
- To be familiar with the Musicianship syllabuses, guidelines and regulations of QMA internal exams and ABRSM practical exams
- To prepare schemes of work, assist in curriculum development in collaboration with the Head of Western Music Department, and be responsible for all aspects of the management of the Musicianship curriculum area.
- To be a fully integrated member of ACCO (QMA’s Academic Committee), to attend and contribute to meetings, prepare departmental reports on internal examination performance, and development plans which contribute to QMA’s Strategic Development Plan.
- To lead the Musicianship teaching faculty team and to attend all mandatory training (e.g. Child Protection and Safeguarding) and Professional Learning Days
- To attend all staff meetings scheduled by the Director of QMA and the Head of Western Music Department
- To participate in the jury of entry auditions, scholarship auditions and internal examinations
- To support QMA’s outreach programs
- Assist in assessing instructional materials and equipment needed for the Musicianship program
- Identify, diagnose, and prescribe remediation for individual learning difficulties
- Provide prompt and frequent feedback to students and parents
- Conduct interesting, well-planned and well-paced lessons, using a variety of teaching techniques and differentiation strategies
- Regularly evaluate teaching methods and schemes of work
- Implement programs and initiatives adopted by QMA’s administration
- Undertake reasonable duties for supervision of students during non-teaching time (e.g. during recitals and concerts)
- Maintain a safe, secure, and pleasant learning environment for students
- Maintain open lines of communication with all QMA staff, students and parents
- Undertake any other duties, commensurate with the post, as may be required from time to time by the Director
Person specification qualifications and experience
- Be a qualified Key stage 3, 4, and 5 music teacher with appropriate teaching qualification (i.e. B.Ed and PGCE)
- Minimum of 10 years’ teaching experience
- Strong keyboard skills (ability to coach a vocal or instrumental ensemble desirable)
- Experience in teaching students aged between 6 and 18 years old, as well as adult students
- Proven track record of outstanding GCSE (IGCSE), A level/IB exam results
- Excellent knowledge of Sibelius music software and ProTools / Logic software (experience with music recording and editing software is desirable)
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills and some experience in event management
- Experience with specialize curriculum design (scheme of work) and academic admin work
- First-class planning, assessment and record keeping
- Excellent English verbal and written skills
- Understanding and experience with fostering a culture of collaboration
- Hardworking, motivated and well organized
- Patient and supportive with students of all abilities
- Able to create a dynamic and positive class environment conducive to student learning, skills development and social-emotional wellbeing
- Able to think creatively to find solutions and stay calm and focused in stressful situations
- Able to anticipate problems or issues before they arise and make plans to work through them
- Developing positive relationships with students’ parents and communicating clearly and in a timely manner
- Able to inspire and engage students and colleagues in a shared and collaborative manner as a teacher and a team member
- Able to think strategically and plan to meet the short and long-term goals of the school
- Demonstrates continuous professional growth by seeking a variety of professional opportunities
- Shows cultural awareness and respect for the local culture and traditions
- Actively supports QMA’s involvement in the wider community
Candidates wishing to learn more about QMA can go to the school’s website:
Salary and benefits
Salary is highly competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. Benefits include a tax-free salary, housing allowance, health and life insurance.
Application procedure and selection process
To apply, please submit your application via TES and upload an up-to-date CV and completed Safer Recruitment Form. Candidates should also provide:
- Year 7-Year 10 Scheme of Work for teaching composition
- Video link of a vocal or instrumental school ensemble that the candidate has coached in the past (desirable)
The deadline for receipt of applications is Monday, 29 January 2024.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Short listed candidates will be invited to attend an online interview on
Sunday, 4 February 2024.
Candidates should note that Qatar Foundation Schools reserve the right to appoint the successful candidate at any time, even before the deadline mentioned, if an exceptional candidate is identified early in the process. For this reason, interested candidates are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible time.
In compliance with Safer Recruitment principles, applications with incomplete application forms will not be considered.
- Applications should be addressed to the Director, Mr. Zlatan Fazlić ([email protected]) and copied to QMA’s HR focal person: Ms. Rita El Mheir ([email protected])
Please note that successful candidate will be subject to relevant national police checks.
Equality and access
The Qatar Foundation Division of Pre-University is committed to ensuring that applicants and employee from all sections of the community are treated equally and not discriminated against and we welcome applications from candidates with additional needs and disabilities.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]